Saturday, January 4, 2014

Snow Day Project: Window Plant-Cubby

This isn't really a tutorial, I just wanted to share a project we did here during yesterday's snow day. When I say "we" I mean that I schemed it up and my sweet husband was kind enough to work out the logistics and build it.
We have some little plants in the kitchen (where there is minimal space) and they were just kind of clustered on a tiny table in the corner. It didn't look good at all, and begged for a solution. We also have a door in the corner of our eating area that we never use. It has a great window though, that lets in lots of beautiful light. It's the perfect spot for plants, so we thought up a little mounted cubby box to house our small potted plants.
We picked up some 1" x 4" pre-primed pine (three 8' pieces), and Nick got to work measuring the window on the door. He started by building the outer "box" and then added in the horizontal shelving followed by the smaller vertical pieces that created the small cubby spaces. He followed the lines of the window molding so that when the finished piece was hung in front of the window it lined up with the window panes.  He used finishing nails to hold the whole thing together.

I am beyond excited about how it came out. Nick did an awesome job and I think the plants are super happy. That corner is nice and neat now, and it feels totally breathable. 

Don't you love when projects turn out exactly how you had imagined? A great feeling.


FOLLOW ATTIC LACE ON BLOGLOVIN!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love how it came out - such a cozy spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little plant cubby. We have a back door just like that off our kitchen that we also never use. Hmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really came out well. You and your hubby make a great team!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!