Saturday, November 3, 2012

Give a HOOT

DIY Gift: Pine-Cone Owl Ornaments


Since N so generously got me an extra extension cord for my glue gun today (power still out..sigh), I decided to make use of the surplus of pine-cones we have in the yard.  I made these cute pine-cone owls using a few pine-cones, decorative paper, paint and glue...


1. Select several whole pine-cones in varying sizes 2. Lightly paint your pine-cones using acrylic paint in the colors of your choice 3. Thread a needle with embroidery thread and push the needle into the side of each pine-cone, towards the top, threading it through the thick center spine of the pine-cone. Tie a small knot to create a loop for hanging. Slide your loop around so that the knot is hidden under the edge of  a "scale" (not sure what the "scales" of a pine-cone are called... do you know?) 4. Using a thick card-stock paper of your choice, cut out the shapes you desire to create your owls. I made two eyeballs, a beak, a brow, and two wings for each...I also used a black marker to draw in more defined eye-balls;) 5. Using a hot glue gun, glue your owl features onto its corresponding pine-cone

These little guys were so much fun to create:) and they will make excellent gifts!


Follow me on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Too cute! I love projects that are simple and easy to create. Thanks for sharing this :)

    -Melissa
    http://shakeshakee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melissa! :) thanks for taking a peek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! I'm very partial to woodland creatures - I'll have to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate your comments! Even if it's just to say hi!